[Pharo-project] RBScanner>>#initializeClassificationTable

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Thu Nov 25 18:37:10 CET 2010

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> My bad, in the 4.1 image there's
> Preferences >> allowUnderscoreAssignment
> 	^ self
> 		valueOfFlag: #allowUnderscoreAssignment
> 		ifAbsent: [false]
> (Added by Parser class>>#initialize), I didn't check if it was actually in use anymore.
>
> Compatibility seems the be the reason anyways though, as you said the Scanner pragma preference has a different name.

I doubt there was any effort to write compatible code, there are countless
packages that were originally written in Squeak, but now they are
incompatble with it.
In Squeak the pragma preference in Scanner was renamed recently to
allowUnderscoreAsAssignment to resolve the incompatibility.

> On Nov 25, 2010, at 11:42 56AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Henrik Johansen wrote:
>>
>>> P.S. At the very least it could be changed to Scanner isLiteralSymbol: #_
>>
>> I guess not. There was a bug in Squeak (and probably Pharo too), because the compiler replaced #_ to #':=' during compilation. See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7571 .
>
> :(
> Can't reproduce it in Pharo 1.0 onwards, with allowUnderscore on/off, though.

That's fair, because you can't use underscores in selectors in Pharo.

Levente