[Pharo-project] <script language="smalltalk">

csrabak at bol.com.br csrabak at bol.com.br
Fri Nov 26 18:20:41 CET 2010

Em 24/11/2010 11:50, Jan van de Sandt < jvdsandt at gmail.com > escreveu:

> Perhaps a Smalltalk variant of the Google Web Toolkit (GWT) would be
> a good idea.
>  GWT compiles Java code  into browser specific obfuscated Javascript
> code.  At development  time  you can  run  and debug  the Java  code
> directly in the  browser by using some kind  of browser plugin. When
> you are  ready to deploy you  generate the Javascript  code and your
> app runs in all modern browsers without any plugins.
>   A  Smalltalk variant would  use Smalltalk  as the  source language
> instead of Java,  the other parts of GWT can be  reused. GWT is open
> source (Apache 2.0 license).

I think we have first to evaluate to what audience/market are thinking of
targeting this effort, then estimate the effort, in order to see if its
worth it.

If the attempt is a reinterpretation a Smalltalk base development environment
would make a difference in the ecosystem we must check if we aren't flared
by our preference of languages versus operational pragmatics.

If the idea is to have such environment to the present (and sadly minute)
community of Smalltalk developers, probably the effort would attend to a
very small clientèle and the returns will be elusive and the project will
end orphan.