[Pharo-project] Pharo integration in enterprise feedback

Jimmie Houchin jlhouchin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 04:11:01 CET 2010

On 11/25/2010 3:40 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for feedback on Pharo integration in enterprise.
>
> Especially how you have managed to put Pharo in your enterprise.
>
> For example, I'm involved in web application development in other
> languages. For functional testing I'm able to script Selenium using
> Pharo thanks to WebTester. So Pharo has made a small step at my work.
>
> I'm looking for such stories.

Hello,

I don't have any such stories. I am using Pharo personally and for
business, but I own the business I use it for. :)

I think an effective way to evangelize Pharo/Squeak/Smalltalk is to when
anybody has the liberty to do so, use it in the small areas where the
business has a need and no dependencies or any particular bureaucratic
requirements. Encourage coworkers to try it for personal projects,
invite them to local user groups. Even if it is simply to explore
something different and unknown. Find out some of their interests and
where possible and reasonable demonstrate a Pharo solution for their
interests.

I think the more people we can get to choose Pharo/Squeak/Smalltalk for
personal interests, the more people will begin to use it for the jobs at
work that they have the liberty to choose. Over time this could lead to
understanding of the benefits that Pharo/Squeak/Smalltalk can bring to
the enterprise environment or to the developers life in general. If they
use it at home, they may also help to improve our enterprise story so
that they can make a living using their tool of choice.

In the meantime we can improve our enterprise story. And I think we are
working on that. Working both ends toward the middle seems to be the way
to proceed to me.

Just a few thoughts.

Jimmie