[Pharo-project] Issue 3342 in pharo: have a look at sharedQueue fixes from Levente

pharo at googlecode.com pharo at googlecode.com
Sat Nov 27 17:45:47 CET 2010

Owner: stephane.ducasse
Labels: Milestone-1.3 Type-Squeak

New issue 3342 by stephane.ducasse: have a look at sharedQueue fixes from
Levente

Check the squeak mailing:
the thread of 15 of november 2010: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-ul.515.mcz

     Hi Folks,

     Please also restore Semaphore>>critical:ifLocked: It already includes
this comment: "Note: The following is tricky and depends on the fact that
the VM will not switch between processes while executing byte codes
(process switches happen only in real sends). The following test is written
carefully so that it will result in bytecodes only."

     To be more explicit, in Cuis it also says: "Do not change the following
#== for #=, as #== is not a real message send, just a bytecode."

It's unnecessary, because #= also has it's own bytecode in the current VM.
So #= won't be a real message send in this case, because both excessSignals
and 0 are SmallIntegers.

Also, this method has a bug. There's no guarantee, that the sender won't
wait for the semaphore. I uploaded a fix to the Inbox for review recently,
though I didn't get any feedback on it:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-November/155058.html