[Pharo-project] <script language="smalltalk">

Mirko Kiefer mirko.kiefer at arcor.de
Sun Nov 28 21:30:09 CET 2010

On 11/27/10 3:33 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2010/11/26 Janko Mivšek<janko.mivsek at eranova.si>:
>>> I think we have first to evaluate to what audience/market are thinking of
>>> targeting this effort, then estimate the effort, in order to see if its
>>> worth it.
>> Specially we the web guys are very interested of such a beast, because
>> we need to develop more in more on the client side and in JavaScript,
>> which is a bit hard, because of our Smalltalk habits, you know :)
>>
>> Even more, Smalltalk on the client (Clamato way) can also solve one of
>> the main JavaScript problems: debugging on the client side. If we can
>> have near the same debugger on the client as we have in our IDE's, well,
>> this would be a huge step forward.
>>
> indeed. debugging JS is hard. Most of the times, all you can do is to
> put 'alert(...)'
> in interesting places, to see what's going wrong.
> But there are things, like
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/
> didn't tried it.

Igor, I recommend having a look at the build in developer tools in
Safari or Google Chrome (they are the same). They give you a very
powerful debugging and profiling environment and the option to inspect
all Javascript objects on runtime. On the debugging side there is
actually very little that you would miss from Pharo.