[Pharo-project] <script language="smalltalk">

Simon Denier Simon.Denier at inria.fr
Tue Nov 30 10:51:06 CET 2010

On 26 nov. 2010, at 19:26, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> On 26. 11. 2010 18:20, csrabak at bol.com.br wrote:
>> Em 24/11/2010 11:50, Jan van de Sandt < jvdsandt at gmail.com > escreveu:
>
>>>  A  Smalltalk variant would  use Smalltalk  as the  source language
>>> instead of Java,  the other parts of GWT can be  reused. GWT is open
>>> source (Apache 2.0 license).
>
>> I think we have first to evaluate to what audience/market are thinking of
>> targeting this effort, then estimate the effort, in order to see if its
>> worth it.
>
> Specially we the web guys are very interested of such a beast, because
> we need to develop more in more on the client side and in JavaScript,
> which is a bit hard, because of our Smalltalk habits, you know :)
>
> Even more, Smalltalk on the client (Clamato way) can also solve one of
> the main JavaScript problems: debugging on the client side. If we can
> have near the same debugger on the client as we have in our IDE's, well,
> this would be a huge step forward.

Well then,
We have the Smalltalk IDE but nobody is interested to look at it because it's Smalltalk.
We have Seaside but nobody is interested to look at it because it's Smalltalk.

But maybe if someone brings a Javascript IDE built in Smalltalk, people will start to look at it :) We may even already have one edge with PetitParser.
(and the trick is of course that you don't advertize Smalltalk, you advertize Javascript).

Strangely, this reminds me of the story of Lucid which built a powerful C++ IDE... in Lisp. This leads to XEmacs.

http://www.jwz.org/doc/lemacs.html
http://dreamsongs.com/Cadillac.html

--
 Simon