[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Cog+NativeBoost Linux32 binaries available

Fernando olivero fernando.olivero at usi.ch
Thu Oct 7 10:36:04 CEST 2010

>> Just for curiosity, why this dependance on Rome? To end up providing a Canvas were all the rendering is performed by OpenGL and you text rendering class ?
>

> A NBGLCurveRenderer is actually an experiment, which should be a part
> of something bigger (read Rome).
> So, that's why i moved it there, breaking demo :)

The demo works just fine now!

> I plan to implement an OpenGL backend for canvas, which implements
> Rome protocol.
> And then implement Morphic which using rome-canvas for rendering..
> And then implement brand-new zoomable UI in it..
>
> (i have a big plans)... :)

I was hoping you did!

Questions:
1.Once you have a NBOpenGLRomeCanvas , how do you plan to implement the zoomable UI? On which layer of abstraction? (Canvas or  Morphic ?)
Is there going to be a "camera" abstraction? ( just like Lumiere ) or who will know  its current z transformation?

2. Regarding Text, will you reuse Paragraph and Editor already present in the system, or use an external library like Pango?
 I was looking at the True Type font rendering demo, and everything seems pretty much into place, and now the "paragraph" layer must be implemented.

How can i help? (Eventually...)

Fernando