[Pharo-project] syntax highlighting for (stateful) traits (non-local methods)

Toon Verwaest toon.verwaest at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 21:10:39 CEST 2011

Hi all,

as you know I'm working on stateful traits using my new classbuilder
etc... Now I noticed that methods are highlighted always inside of the
context of the class that's active in the class browser. How can I
change this? There is already a useful method around to figure out which
object it belongs to:

SomeClass traitOrClassOfSelector: #aMethod

This actually will tell me which trait it comes from. So now I could
apply syntax coloring in the context of the trait rather than the class.
Since in my implementation state is all private to the trait / class,
they should be able to access their own state but not see the state of
the other class. This obviously also means that coloring should happen
in the correct scope, rather than always in the scope of the class.

At the moment the coloring doesn't really make sense ... but then it
didn't really matter that much until now. Although if you try to access
state in a method coming from a trait, while coding in your IDE you'll
probably have the impression you can access your local instvars. I don't
really know what the semantics are there... but it seems a bit broken :)

cheers,
Toon