[Pharo-project] syntax highlighting for (stateful) traits (non-local methods)

Toon Verwaest toon.verwaest at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 17:38:32 CEST 2011

On 04/03/2011 04:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Thanks I should digest it.
> Now what I did not like in our stateful model was that
> 	- in introduced too many operators
> 	- I'm not sure I like trait state to be private because it changes a lot the smalltalk model
I'm not sure if it changes smalltalk too much! I'd rather say that it
stays very much the same. When you weave in a stateful trait it's like
weaving in a stateless trait, only behavior is added (from the point of
view of the class). As for the extra operators, I'm not sure how weighty
the aliasing of state from traits will be... I hope we can limit it.
> 	- the initialization is not modular so you end up write a lot of pattern initializeTrait and calling it.
>
> How you model deal with initialization beside using initform a la clos (because you have first class slots ... that I want in pharo -- see the subliminal message).
> Stef
The idea is that slots define how they should be initialized. This could
be just a value like in CLOS, but is preferably something a lot more
elaborate.

Another very cool thing that we can do now (which would require 3 lines
of change in my system though), is that the slot can also be responsible
for instance migration. There are four cases:
1- the instance variable didn't exist and now it does
2- the instance variable existed but disappeared
3- the metaobject changed (new semantics)
4- the metaobject stayed the same

Basically the only case that is "handled" by standard Pharo is case 1;
and what you do there is putting nil in the field. In our model the slot
could do something more interesting when it's migrating the instances.
And we could tackle the other cases too. I think it's starting to get
ideal to implement an active context on top ;-)

cheers,
Toon