[Pharo-project] Let's get rid of Core vs. Full

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Sun Apr 3 19:31:18 CEST 2011

Hi,

So finally I have to admit that I am defeated: The way we do the Core vs. Full release does not work.

1) We don't develop the system using the tools that we tell people to use.
		-> bugs don't get fixed
		-> there is no pressure on improving the tools
		-> we can't use the advanced tools while developing the Core.

2) We integrate *far* too late.
		-> merging in the tools of Dev a week before the big release *will* fail, as they are not tested.

3) As we use Core for Development of Core, it's not a Core. It contains all needed tools, just simplified versions.
		-> People even expect to be able to shrink it more, which in turn we do not test.

4) Refactoring are only applied to the Core, not to the whole code base. Look at the Sound or Morph Examples...
     getting them fixed for the release if they are not touched for a year is nearly impossible.

5) Fixing something in the Core is fast. We move *extremely* fast. Getting something fixed for Full can be very difficult.
     e.g. repositories need to be changed (for a temporary fork), build scripts edited.. it's so hard that it is done far too late.

6) We can not do a release and be done. Release drag over weeks, making announcments (and publicity) impossible.

The build server helps a little bitwith some of the problems, but not much... especially as the full build of unstable is mostly
not working.

So I vote for abandoning Core vs. Dev for 1.3.

	Marcus

INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.