[Pharo-project] Odd FFI problms with Mac vms...

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Sun Apr 3 21:36:04 CEST 2011

Norbert,

Today I have found that I can get GemTools to work on the mac using Squeak 4.2.4beta1U.

Squeak 4.2.5beta1U fails when an FFI call returns an incorrect value (get a Space is low error, because the size comes back as 1330942246849085449, instead of a reasonable number).

The image is identical and the gci library file is identical in both cases, I've just switched the vm that I'm using.

Squeak 5.7.4.1 gives an 'unsupported calling convention' with the first FFI call into the library.

Cog-VM.r2378 gives a 'Could not coerce arguments' error for the FFI call that returns the unreasonable number in 4.2.5beta1U...the argument to the function is a SmallInteger (343552513) ... at least this error gives me hope that I can figure out what's wrong with this call sooner or later ...

Anyway, the upshot is that Squeak 4.2.4beta1U is the best bet at the moment on the Mac for running GemTools ...

Oh, the image was a PharoCore-1.1.1...Finding _a_ Mac vm, that works gives me an incentive to try getting GemTools running on PharoCore.1.2...

If any of the vm or FFI guys have some insight to these problems I'd appreciate some pointers to what may be going on...

Dale