[Pharo-project] Let's get rid of Core vs. Full

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Sun Apr 3 22:23:21 CEST 2011

On Apr 3, 2011, at 9:34 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> I really agree with you Marcus. It sounds to me that core/dev is a
> black and white approach.
>
> I know there are no resources, but what do you think of starting with
> a minimum image and the build over more sophisticated images?
>
> -Kernel image
> -Core image
> -Image with really basic browsing/scm tools (OB, Script Manager,
> Shout, etc) - or "developer basic"
> -developer standard (the current dev)
> -developer scientific
> -developer web
> etc.
>
> that wouldn't result in more easier integrations?

I'm not sure that you want a lot of different setups because it means checking problems due to interactions.
So far we cannot maintain 2 so I do not see why more would help.
	a core + packages + a dsitribution browser to load certified distributions

we want a mini-core + a set of maintained pharo packages + a configuration files

When we work on them
	-> new mini core +  automatic publication of new packages + new configuration files

Right now this process does not work so this is a ***pain*** I spent 2 hours
one sunday to fix some stupid problem with shout in OB just because we do not have
good tools on top of metacello and because loading packages is slow.