[Pharo-project] Let's get rid of Core vs. Full

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 08:08:36 CEST 2011

2011/4/3 Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr>:

> On Apr 3, 2011, at 9:34 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> I really agree with you Marcus. It sounds to me that core/dev is a
>> black and white approach.
>>
>> I know there are no resources, but what do you think of starting with
>> a minimum image and the build over more sophisticated images?
>>
>> -Kernel image
>> -Core image
>> -Image with really basic browsing/scm tools (OB, Script Manager,
>> Shout, etc) - or "developer basic"
>> -developer standard (the current dev)
>> -developer scientific
>> -developer web
>> etc.
>>
>> that wouldn't result in more easier integrations?
>
> I'm not sure that you want a lot of different setups because it means checking problems due to interactions.
> So far we cannot maintain 2 so I do not see why more would help.
>        a core + packages + a dsitribution browser to load certified distributions
>

> we want a mini-core + a set of maintained pharo packages + a configuration files
>
> When we work on them
>        -> new mini core +  automatic publication of new packages + new configuration files

Ok I see.

Let me comment some background: In the past I've worked in a team of 4
developers doing a custom ANSI private smalltalk, programming
smalltalk code in notepad without cvs or any kind of SCM during almost
1 year, and I know what is having no tools at all. We had just a very
well organized swiki, a methodology for communication... and an
extremely ugly set of XML files for enabling "packages". We had weekly
package releases. The core image was regularly released each month.
Not a super mega project, but it worked for our client. Anyone wanting
details of how please don't hestitate to ask me privately. I still
have the documentation and source code.

I'd prefer just a good mini-core or core release regularly than n
setups, so my vote is for abandoning regular Dev releases, which to me
are "newbie" releases, not meaning to offend anyone here, I know most
readers know how to do their own dev releases (for example I have 2
pharo core images one for developing FFI and primitives and another
one for scientific development). Believe me, I work everyday in Pharo
and I've abandoned the Dev image, too many hangs when working heavily
(I **really** tried the dev image), I can post the experiment scripts,
although many times there were unhandled exceptions when just browsing
code. If I had a team I'd report every issue.

> Right now this process does not work so this is a ***pain*** I spent 2 hours
> one sunday to fix some stupid problem with shout in OB just because we do not have
> good tools on top of metacello and because loading packages is slow.

I'd like you enjoy releasing Pharo, I'm now enjoying comparing
Smalltalk with Perl, Python and Java :)

--
Hernán Morales
Information Technology Manager,