[Pharo-project] Let's get rid of Core vs. Full

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:18:22 CEST 2011

On 3 April 2011 19:31, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker at inria.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So finally I have to admit that I am defeated: The way we do the Core vs. Full release does not work.
>
> 1) We don't develop the system using the tools that we tell people to use.
>                -> bugs don't get fixed
>                -> there is no pressure on improving the tools
>                -> we can't use the advanced tools while developing the Core.
>
> 2) We integrate *far* too late.
>                -> merging in the tools of Dev a week before the big release *will* fail, as they are not tested.
>
> 3) As we use Core for Development of Core, it's not a Core. It contains all needed tools, just simplified versions.
>                -> People even expect to be able to shrink it more, which in turn we do not test.
>
> 4) Refactoring are only applied to the Core, not to the whole code base. Look at the Sound or Morph Examples...
>     getting them fixed for the release if they are not touched for a year is nearly impossible.
>
> 5) Fixing something in the Core is fast. We move *extremely* fast. Getting something fixed for Full can be very difficult.
>     e.g. repositories need to be changed (for a temporary fork), build scripts edited.. it's so hard that it is done far too late.
>
> 6) We can not do a release and be done. Release drag over weeks, making announcments (and publicity) impossible.
>
> The build server helps a little bitwith some of the problems, but not much... especially as the full build of unstable is mostly
> not working.
>
> So I vote for abandoning Core vs. Dev for 1.3.

Marcus, i think that full or 'dev' images just need to have a
configurations which people could load on top of core image.
The responsibility of core team is to define what is included in those
configurations on next release and
making sure that they can be loaded in latest core images.

But don't mix 'can be loaded' with 'works without bugs' :) This is
another story. This is where community has to be involved and people
who interested in
using full image(s) need to help with it.
Otherwise, if nobody using it, then why wasting an effort with
maintaining and fixing such a large codebase?

I know it by myself, that bugs are discovered and fixed only when you
using some tool(s). But if something lies there unattended, then it
will definitely
break at some point, and it is not really matters how hard you try to
keep backwards compatibility or making sure all tests are green.

>        Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Best regards,