[Pharo-project] [Pharo-users] Last pending things for Pharo 1.2

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 23:05:57 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker at inria.fr>wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2011, at 5:05 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
> marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So....here is the list of things I guess are pending:
>>

> In general, for all pending things adding entries in the bug tracker is the
> only way ti make sure they are not forgotten.
>
> 1) "Release" all configurations included in Pharo (this is,
>> ConfigurationOfPharo and all it dependencies). I mean, we should NOT use or
>> depend on #development versions.
>>

> so...can someone check this is done?  GUillermo and me did it once...but it
> seems a lot of stuff was updated once again
>

> I just gave up and took the image yesterday. Like you did for 1.1: Just
> build it once, don't care that it is repeatable.

Sorry, I didn't understand. The Pharo 1.1 was repeatable (in the same core)
since all the Metacello versions were frozen.

>> 2) Update the one click image to use latest cog images and "pharo prepared
>> vms". There are some issues regarding this...
>>

> Marcus, which is the status of this one ?
>

> I updated the one-click image with the last cog VM.
>
> For the one-click, it is identical to 1.1 with the only change that I put
> the windows VM I got from Torsten.

But 1.1 was not-Cog  (Cog 1.1.1 was cog). So...we are shipping the Pharo One
Click 1.2  with the Interpreter VM instead of Cog ?
or did you mean 1.1.1 ?  if so, it would be good to update to latest Cog.
The cog version used for 1.1.1 had several problems (I think the
run:with:in: crashes the image -> TestCoverage)

>> 3) Write down all the things/summary done in Pharo 1.2
>>

> consider as done in nobody else comes with something better,
>

>> 5) Update  SystemVersion current -->> Pharo1.2rc2 of 27 January 2011
>> update 12340
>>

> SystemVersion current ->> Pharo1.2.1 of 2 April 2011 update 12345
>
> so..it is ok, isn't it ? can we forget this item ?
>

>> 6) Condense sources? condense changes?  #cleanUpForRelease
>>

> Marcus, is that necessary ?
>
> DEVImageCreator >> cleanUps
>
>     ScriptLoader new cleanUpForRelease.
>     "In Pharo 1.1 condenseChanges is VERY slow because of the new method
> trailers. So condensingChanges each time even when it is not needed is not a
> good idea anymore. So in case a condenseChanges is needed it should be done
> explicitly.
>     Smalltalk condenseChanges."
>     Smalltalk garbageCollect.
>
> I did that and I put that comment. Now that they are faster and that we
> have Hudson, should I put back the Smalltalk condenseChanges ?    is there
> anything else needed?  do we need a condenseSources ?
>

> CondenseChange and CondenseSource is broken right now.

Ok, we can live withoput that :)

> Marcus
>

>  --

Mariano