[Pharo-project] Fwd: Actions done in 1.3

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 13:55:46 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>
Date: 6 April 2011 13:55
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Actions done in 1.3
To: laurent laffont <laurent.laffont at gmail.com>

On 6 April 2011 10:30, laurent laffont <laurent.laffont at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Planning is also important.
>>
>> Time is good, but another thing is i think we should think about,
>> what features we want to be in new release, and do not release until
>> they delivered.
>
> I don't really like this. I prefer rhythm, agility. Timeboxing enables
> maximum value in each release. If a feature is really important, it will be
> on time. If not on time, it means it was no so important.
> Always green test is a must-have.
>

>> Besides bug fixing and minor improvements, there should be some
>> functionality which we want to have in new release,
>
> That should be a goal, but don't delay a release because the feature is not
> here. If releases are often ( for example every 3 months), shorter, it won't
> be a big problem to wait for the next one.
> I prefer to have a release *now* without my feature and wait 3 months for
> the next release than no release and waiting for 3 months more with less and
> less energy.

But you don't have to wait, if you want to stay on bleeding edge, you
know how to do that.
Just go to hudson and dowload freshly built 1.3 image.

Because if you can pick any image at any moment and declare it new release,
then i don't understand why do we need releases at all?
What makes release to be release , when you can download latest
version at any moment?

That's why i saying that from release to release cleanup and fixes is
good, but there should be some major functional changes,
which worth to be labeled as a new version.
And if you don't have them, then there is no point to make a release.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

--