[Pharo-project] Fwd: Actions done in 1.3

laurent laffont laurent.laffont at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 14:24:04 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

I won't do this for production. We need a officially released image.

 Because if you can pick any image at any moment and declare it new release,
> then i don't understand why do we need releases at all?

Because people build applications / frameworks they declare compatible with
a fixed version of Pharo.

> What makes release to be release , when you can download latest
> version at any moment?

The date :)

Ubuntu is released every 6 months. That gives a rhythm. Integrates new
stuff, freeze, release.

Same for Gnome and KDE.

Linux kernel has a 2 weeks merge window then go rc.

We have learned the benefits of fixed iteration with agile methods & extreme
programming.

> That's why i saying that from release to release cleanup and fixes is
> good, but there should be some major functional changes,
> which worth to be labeled as a new version.
> And if you don't have them, then there is no point to make a release.

In three months there's a lot of stuff which enters Pharo. That's enough for
me to justify a release and get feedback from users.

Laurent.