[Pharo-project] Delay bug

Gary Chambers gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 6 18:02:16 CEST 2011

Well, we have been having problems with applications appearing to hang every 6 days or so (sound familiar?).

I have identified a bug in the Delay implementation, rather obscure, but highlighted by our applications that make HEAVY use of processes/(tight, a few tens of milliseconds)delays/semaphores etc.
Naturally due to an edge case on millisecond clock rollover...

Affects all Squeak/Pharo versions, as far as I can tell. (It is separate from the OSProcess issues I have posted about a few weeks ago).

I've developed a potential fix, though I'll have to let you all know whether (hopefully) successful in a week or two... fingers crossed!

I hope it is fixable, last hurdle for business applications, from our point of view.

I'll post details when fix confirmed or failed then.

Regards, Gary