[Pharo-project] Unexpected behavior of roundTo:

Andres Valloud avalloud at smalltalk.comcastbiz.net
Sat Apr 9 09:07:05 CEST 2011

At the end of the day, we still insist on expecting there won't be loss
of information just because we wrote a decimal print string for a binary
floating point number.  One can get offended or irritated all one wants,
but the reality of the situation won't change.

I think the real solution to these "problems" is to implement decimal
floating point as per IEEE-754/2008.  Then you can write something like
1.2345 and know for a fact the number represented is *exactly* 1.2345.
At least one VisualWorks platform already supports decimal floating
point in hardware (IBM's POWER line).  C99 extensions exist at least in
draft form to extend C so that it supports decimal floating point.  IBM
has released a GPL library in ANSI C that implements the feature.  I am
not sure what is the deal with the license and if you can e.g.:
interface to it without making your whole Smalltalk GPL.

Food for thought...