[Pharo-project] [Pharo-users] Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 15:03:37 CEST 2011

Hi nick, I comment above.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Nick Chen <nchen.dev at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was browsing through the draft chapter for Pharo By Example describing
> the
> Omnibrowser architecture
> (https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27418/Omnibrowser.pdf). One of
> the
> screenshots (Figure 1.5 in the PDF) shows a browser with Back, Forward and
> History Buttons i.e. navigation history features.

There are several browser for Pharo. PharoCore uses one, and in PharoDev we
are using Omnibrowser, a.k.a OB.
There is ANOTHER browser called O2

That "history  feature" is part of O2, not OB.  O2 used to load in Pharo
(indeed, it was the defaul at the very beginning of Pharo 1.0). But
nowadays, its developr nor nobody  maintain it, so it doesn't load/works
correctly in Pharo 1.2 anymore.

> My specific questions:
>
> 1) What happened to this version of the browser? Is it possible to load the
> navigation history feature into the latest version of Pharo? I am currently
> using Pharo 1.2

No. You need to update O2 and make it work in Pharo 1.2  or try to add such
feature to OB.

> 2) The paper "Tackling Software Navigation Issues of the Smalltalk IDE" by
> Röthlisberger et al
> (http://www.bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg09d-SmalltalkIDE.pdf)
> implemented
> several useful features for code navigation in the Smalltalk IDE.
>
> Was their work ever ported to Pharo? Hopefully the authors of the paper are
> reading this list and can comment. The paper was very interesting for me
> because it described and proposed solutions for problems that I have
> encountered with code navigation in Smalltalk.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Nick

Mariano