[Pharo-project] Issue 3992 in pharo: Proposed O2 fixes for Pharo-1.2

pharo at googlecode.com pharo at googlecode.com
Tue Apr 12 07:29:25 CEST 2011

Owner: ----

New issue 3992 by nicholas... at gmail.com: Proposed O2 fixes for Pharo-1.2

Pharo Metainfo
-------------

Pharo image: dev
Pharo core version: Pharo1.2.1
Virtual machine used: Cog VM.r2378

Description
----------

Follow the full discussion at
<http://forum.world.st/Code-Navigation-Navigation-History-in-System-Browser-td3438888.html>.

I completely agree with Stéphane Ducasse's comments about O2 being outdated
and how it will be replaced soon. But since I've ported it, I might as well
share it with the community in case someone else is interested.

These are the fixes to make it possible to load O2 into a Pharo-1.2 Dev
image. It is based off the latest version of the code from the O2
repository (http://www.squeaksource.com/O2) made by David Roethlisberger.

Notable changes:

* Removed all references to Preferences (deprecated in Pharo 1.2)
* Removed most preferences that I could not find any references to.
* Made test cases pass (mostly adapting the tests to the new TestCase
hierarchy that it was testing for)

Remaining problems:

* Undo/redo does not work in the editor. This is probably because Pharo-1.2
changed the TextEditor components (i.e. uses EditingState).
* Lots of duplication between O2 and OB. Not sure whether to
merge/eliminate duplication since these browsers seem to be quite
independent and I don't enough of their ecosystem to say if we should merge.