[Pharo-project] Using SMark

Stefan Marr pharo at stefan-marr.de
Tue Apr 12 07:38:43 CEST 2011

Hi Javier:

On 12 Apr 2011, at 04:52, Javier Pimás wrote:

> Hi, I need to do some benchmarking on SqueakNOS and I'm exploring SMark. I downloaded the SMark and PBenchmarks packages from monticello, but now I don't know what to do to use it. The tests pass mostly OK, but, how do you run the existing benchs?

To execute a benchmark suite, you can just send it the #run, or #run:withAnIntForTheNumberOfIterations messages.
This will return the runner, that also has the results.
The results are then processed or reported by one of the reporters, but there aren't many yet.

Depending on your needs, you might also want to use another runner then the standard one.
How to use them is currently probably documented best in the tests.
But there are also some class comments here and there.

> Is there any tool for visualizing the results?

There is nothing fancy like the test runner UI.

But the following should work:

| runner |
runner := SMarkLoops run: 10.
SMarkSimpleStatisticsReporter reportFor: runner on: Transcript.

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr