[Pharo-project] Improving Pharo's Exception Hierarchy

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Wed Apr 13 19:39:56 CEST 2011

Some thoughts from an old man (started programming before exceptions of
any kind were available:) ...

In the old days, error numbers had a place in the universe ... error
numbers of a certain range indicated specific errors and the "error
handlers" could check for a range or a specific error ...

Today I think there is still a place for the notion of "error numbers".

In Smalltalk I would use Symbols instead of numbers, but the idea would
be to use a concrete exception class to identify broad categories of
error conditions (i.e., FileStreamError) and a symbolic "reason code" to
indicate the specific error (i.e., #fileDoesNotExist, #fileExists,
#cannotDelete, etc.), that way an error handler can be written for
FileStreamError and then specific action take with respect to which
"reason code" is involved, if such action is needed.

The main advantage of using reasonCodes over using a "class per error
condition" is that you can reduce the size of the Exception hierarchy to
a manageable size (GemStone has hundreds of error conditions, so we've
resorted to using "reason codes" to manage the size of the hierarchy).

As Hernan hints, more often than not it is important to be very specific
about the error condition when signalling an error (a unique error
message per "per reason code" would be desirable), but the there are
very few places where the handler is going to be that specific ...

In other words, if it is likely that programmers in the course of using
an application will be writing specific error handlers to distinguish
between the KeyNotFound and ValueNotFound condition, then classes should
be created, otherwise, the NotFoundException could be implemented with
three reason codes: #keyNotFound, #valueNotFound, and #elementNotFound
and you'd get the best of both worlds, explicit information at the
signalling site and a much smaller and more manageable Exception class
hierarchy.

Dale