[Pharo-project] Improving Pharo's Exception Hierarchy

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Wed Apr 13 21:54:08 CEST 2011

Camillo,

Hey, I _am_ old, but not _that_ old:) ... There are a couple of things
that were invented in the Stone Age that have survived to today, so old
ideas are not immediately bad, because they are old:)

It feels like you are creating classes that are not much more than
symbols ...

I am not one to shy away from using classes when they are called for,
but I am just making a practicality point ... we don't have a unique
class for each character in the alphabet, but we could....we could have
a unique class for every possible error condition or not ...

I think it is simply a practical answer...

I do maintain that you _should_ use some sort of test along the lines
of: "Will anyone ever need to write a handler for the exception?" in
your criteria for deciding when to create a class and when to use
something like a "reason code" to disambiguate the signalling site...

Dale