[Pharo-project] Improving Pharo's Exception Hierarchy

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 23:20:46 CEST 2011

What's wrong is simple to explain: Your image is a namespace. The more
names you have, the more difficult it is to apprehend, understand and
reuse.

Wait, wait, wait, you might say, whether I use Symbols or Class names,
there are always the same number of names at the end.

Yes, but what makes the big difference is the IDE. What we see thru
this IDE is either:
- a view by package or protocol
- a hierarchical view.

How to find if a specific Exception exists, what it's name is ?
By now, I find package names misleading, because not very uniform.
Even if uniformized, it's not always obvious where to search for.
Plus, there are a lot of packages.
The hierarchical view would be more natural, but is to my taste
unusable above 30 items. I find current Exception hierarchy
unfriendly.
So the idea to use a double classification, a quite generic exception
name like FileError and a specialization "code" does make sense.

You must understand this, when our neurons were younger, we learnt
Smalltalk with a ~300 classes image. What a great pleasure to be able
to embrace the whole system !
Now our older neurons must remember about 8x more...
So we appreciate the inflation with a different scale.

Nicolas