[Pharo-project] Improving Pharo's Exception Hierarchy

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Wed Apr 13 23:31:36 CEST 2011

By managing the class hierarchy:

   Imagine trying to find meaningful exception classes in a class
   hierarchy of 10,000 classes with significant nesting vs finding a
   meaningful class in a hierarchy of 10 classes ... at what point does
   the hierarchy get out of hand?

I think GemStone had 600 some unique errors and that was pared down to
<30 Exception classes with reason codes...

It's a matter of practicality...I would think that somewhere around 100
classes the hierarchy starts to become very tedious to understand even
for those trying to find the right place to insert there brand spanking
new exception class.

99% of exception handlers will _use_ Error_ anyway, so the exception
hierarchy will be largely ignored by most folks, especially if it is
large an unwieldly.

100 small classes that serve a real purpose and have explicit exception
handlers written using every one of them, well then by god! 100 classes
are absolutely called for.

To me this is different than 100 places where I signal an exception ...
do really need a different exception class for each of the 100
signalling sites? What if there are no handlers written for any of them?
Like I said, if there are legitimate need to handle an exception, then
there is a legitimate need to create an exception class, but if I have 5
different error conditions, but I will have a single exception handler
for all 5 conditions, _should_ I create 5 classes or 1 class with some
state to disambiguate?

If your answer is "It depends...", then you will understand what I am
saying:)

Dale