[Pharo-project] Improving Pharo's Exception Hierarchy

Toon Verwaest toon.verwaest at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:33:21 CEST 2011

Somehow I feel like I offended someone :)

I personally don't have experience with 10'000+ classes in a system. I
do understand that's where you are coming from and do appreciate the
insight.

My personal experience has rather been the opposite until now. For
example the Pharo/Squeak classbuilder is 1 single class doing
everything. This is horrible; not just horrible because the code is
completely horrid but it's non-extensible, non-configurable,
non-reusable, contains tons of duplication _just because_ it is all put
into one big ball of mud. By decomposing the classbuilder into 4 to 10
different classes I ended up having very little methods with very little
code, and a very high level of configurability and understandability. I
now actually use this classbuilder to build anonymous classes too,
avoiding the whole problem with forgetting to copy in the format that
everyone seems to have.

And this experience was showing me that having classes for all
_relevant_ concepts actually pays off in the long run. Since you (and
others) are saying that it doesn't for exceptions; and since I don't
have enough experience there I'll take your advice into account when
writing code ;)

Toon