[Pharo-project] Meanwhile, at another vm

Stefan Marr pharo at stefan-marr.de
Thu Apr 14 16:29:12 CEST 2011

Hi:

On 14 Apr 2011, at 16:13, Dave Mason wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2011, at 04:13, Michael Haupt wrote:
>
>> I'm puzzled; where is #become: mentioned as being implemented in that
>> talk? It's mostly about INVOKEDYNAMIC, which is an entirely different
>> thing. (They mention HotSwap on one slide, but that, as I wrote, has
>> been around since 1.4, and is also not really #become:.)
>
> I'n not sure what you mean that hotswap (or rather HotSwap) has been around since 1.4... do you perhaps mean HotSpot - the better jitter?
Hotswap, as in changing methods in a class. That is what the JVM supports, and that is what Michael is referring to.
That is part of the JVM debuggers and tooling interface. That is part of the spec, not just an implementation detail of HotSpot.

> I haven't dug into the fine details, but here is a post from 2006 by Gilad Bracha, sometimes contributor to this list:
>
>    http://blogs.sun.com/gbracha/entry/jsr292_and_hotswapping
>
> and the update to it is the slides I cited say there is a patch to support hotswap currently as of Sept 2009.
Hotswap for methods was introduced as part of the debugging API, and that was part of Java 1.4 with its JavaTM Platform Debugger Architecture...

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab