[Pharo-project] Please update Help> Announcements tutorial

DougEdmunds dougedmunds at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 18:50:11 CEST 2011

1. Not understanding how announcements work, I tried the tutorial information
found under
World menu > Help> Help Browser > Announcements framework

2. Under Tutorial - Step 3, there is this line:

  "Transcript open."  That crashes, because apparently Transcript no longer
understands 'open'.  How do you open a Transcript from a workspace under
1.3?

3.  I created a category 'Sandbox', and a class 'MyStuff'.  I put the code
from Tutorial -Step 3 into a method called anno1

Object subclass: #MyStuff
	instanceVariableNames: ''
	classVariableNames: ''
	poolDictionaries: ''
	category: 'Sandbox'!

!MyStuff methodsFor: 'as yet unclassified' stamp: 'DougEdmunds 4/14/2011
16:27'!
anno1
	| announcer |
	World announcer
		on: WindowOpened
		send: #value
		to: [ Transcript show: 'A new window was opened';cr].! !

I ran "MyStuff new anno1." in a workspace.
Now every time I open a window, the Transcript shows.  "A new window was
opened."

4.  I removed the MyStuff class.  But every time I open a window, the
Transcript still shows "A new window was opened."

I return to the Announcements Tutorial, and there is NO EXPLANATION how to
get rid of this 'announcement' or whatever I should call the line that
appears in the Transcript.

6. So, please whoever wrote the Tutorial, update it.

7. And the more immediate question: how do I stop automatically printing  'A
new window was opened'  in the Transcript every time I open a window?