[Pharo-project] Smalltalk, git, files, the universe and everything...okay not everything:)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Apr 21 00:09:02 CEST 2011

On 20. 04. 2011 23:26, Dale Henrichs wrote:

>> A thing I not understand is why we need to go "file-based" if we are
>> already object based (several steps ahead)?
>
> The folks that would like to see Smalltalk be more file-based have very good points ... Smalltalk would be more accessible to other developers, it would be easier for folks to learn Smalltalk if they didn't have to learn new tools along with a new language, etc....
>
> So it would be really nice if we could keep our object orientation while providing a development environment that was familiar to developers from other languages ....

Here is the point - familiarity! And we don't need to adopt GitHub
completely for that, just visual familiarity of SmalltalkHub will help
us to come closer to GitHub communities, that's I'm pretty sure.

So, let we stop thinking about "file-based" integration with GitHub, let
we talk about social aspects (as familiarity also is) and as Sebastian
is trying to tell us. As you seen on SmalltalkHub, we will actually got
quite some "social" infrastructure now, which is very similar to GitHub.
Nico as GNU Smalltalker is namely a daily user of GitHub (where Iliad
and Jtalk resides), so he has quite some experience of social aspects
there.

Next thing, let we rather start integrating different Smalltalk code on
all our dialects first and using SmalltalkHub for socializing in
Smalltalk community as a whole. First, and before socializing with
others! Here SmalltalkHub again promise a lot and we can actually
achieve a goal of *one*, only one entry point to *all* Smalltalk code,
in *all* dialects!

Best regards
Janko

--