[Pharo-project] Smalltalk, git, files, the universe and everything...okay not everything:)

Miguel Cobá miguel.coba at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 00:32:01 CEST 2011

I don't think that the issue is the file-ness of the subject, but the
easiness that other opensource projects enjoy in part because of their
tool, even if they aren't as pure in their object-ness as the ones
Smalltalk have.
As someone said, the UI of Monticello is very, umm, unintiuitive, has
bad support for branching, avoiding some effect that the git users (and
in particular github has contributed to popularize) that nobody has to
ask for permission for modifying some project and then contributing back
the changes to the main project.
This is notorious difficult with MC/Squeaksource combo when the repo is
only read, when the maintainer has to do a not minor effort to track
contributions and integrating them back. And of course, the visibility
that those tools have is no even in the reach of squeaksource (with
those ugly urls that include session data that from time to time appears
in mails refering to projects in squeaksource).
In that respect git/github no matter if file-based or not are the clear
example to emule and even to use for smalltalk open source projects.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz