[Pharo-project] Smalltalk, git, files, the universe and everything...okay not everything:)

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 01:06:25 CEST 2011

I would had responded to Casey, Dale and more, but selected this mail
to write my response!

2011/4/20 Scott Gibson <wsgibson at windstream.net>:
> I have been using a DVCS since at least 2005 and live by it for Perl (as well as other things) development.  It is frustrating for me to use anything else.  Because I have to jump between tasks, and because I am so scatter brained, I need it in order to simply keep track of all my projects and the changes that I have made.  A DVCS fits to my workflow no matter how I need to do my work.
>
> However, though I am very new to Smalltalk and while I am used to the tools that I have been using for years I still do not feel compelled to use a DVCS that I am so used to.  Monticello could use some improvements perhaps, but I currently do not see a compelling reason to change it for something else.  I appreciate what an object system has to offer instead of just flat files.  Things are radically different for me now.  Instead of dealing with a combination of a RDBMS, Perl applications, and shell scripts I have a complete system with more than just a language (thanks Eliot for the clarity).  All the time I am used to using UNIX commands, SQL commands, editor features just to do my work.  With Smalltalk I have all of that with a consistent language that reduces all of the ways I need to consider to slice and dice the things I am looking to accomplish.  And all of this in just an image file!

A big big big agreement with you. And is of a great value that a new
smalltalker (as you are telling about yourself) put the finger on this
topic: the image!

The image is the environment (the ecosystem as one of my teachers
says) were the objects live. To me, a Smalltalk without image is not a
Smalltalk and really never will like a no-image Smalltalk because is
not Smalltalk, may be is other thing, but not Smalltalk.

Then I'm totally against the flat-files if their use means loss the
image. Smalltalk is about objects, and objects live in the image as
the fishes live in the tank. No tank, no water, then only dead fishes,
not alive fishes. To not mention the other relationships in a live
ecosystem.

Germán.