[Pharo-project] Why errors are not logged in the Transcript?

csrabak at bol.com.br csrabak at bol.com.br
Fri Apr 22 20:21:45 CEST 2011

Em 22/04/2011 11:10, Igor Stasenko < siguctua at gmail.com > escreveu:

> On 22 April 2011 06:24, <csrabak at bol.com.br> wrote:
> > I  disagree  strongly. .  .  The  transcript  should maintain  its
> >purpose that  is to show information 'intentionally'  written to by
> >the programmer.
> >  and so,  what  if  my intent  is  to show  error  stack trace  on
> transcript?

You as programmer can do what you want in your system.  However having
this arrangement as default for all users/programmers is IMNSO *wrong*.

>  in headless mode  i would prefer to log  everything to some default
> logging facility.. guess which one? yes, it is Transcript.

In a headless mode, probably the only user would be a sysadmin, so the
choice looks  sensible, although I still  think that the stdout/stderr
metaphor is more appropriate.

>  But then also i may want  to use different stream for transcript in
> headless mode (to redirect output to stdout or file), but that won't
> require  changing  the  error  logging, which  could  simply  output
> everything to Transcript.

If all  these choices are not hardwired in the image, or at least made
flexible enough so the defaults can be easily changed, I think it's OK.

What I'm opposing is having this as standard in Pharo.

Regards,

--
Cesar Rabak