[Pharo-project] Fwd: [Vm-dev] Re: out of memory - cog on windows

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 23:44:58 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
Date: Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] out of memory - cog on windows
To: vm-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org

 FWIW, the reason for the 512MB limit has to do with Windows memory layout.
When you're running applications that load dynamic libraries (directly or
indirectly such as when using ODBC which loads further DLLs) Windows needs
(sometimes a lot of) address space to map these DLLs in order to load
them[*]. When the VM starts it grabs MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY from the OS which
will consequently not be available to map DLLs into. We have found that
depending on the libraries in use and depending on the overall system
utilization, loading DLLs would fail seemingly "at random" which, after
further investigation, we were able to track to reserving too much address
space upfront. We were able to show experimentally, that changing the limit
from 1GB to 512MB would on some machines make all the difference.

[*] This is true in particular for libraries that create more threads as the
default Windows policy is to create threads with the stack size of the
application executable. Thus a 1MB default stack in the application will by
default create all further threads to be allocated with a 1MB stack size. Of
course all of this is subject to various other conditions.

In the end we concluded that 512MB is a reasonable size for most apps and
with 512MB we've never seen these random failures. You can increase the
limit by recompiling the VM, but if you ship your app in diverse
environments you should be aware of the potential issues.

Cheers,
  - Andreas