[Pharo-project] What is a well documented class?

Alexandre Bergel alexandre.bergel at me.com
Sun Apr 24 18:17:31 CEST 2011

>>  - each public method belongs to a method category named public*
>>  - each private method belongs to a method category named private*
>
> Others here may disagree -- and the dreary of legislating and
> enforcing conventions aside -- but I strive (usually with success) to
> move all privately-used methods to one or more delegates.  One class's
> private method is just another's public???

A private method may have to access instances variables. Moving the method to another class may be difficult sometimes.

>>  - other methods are considered as "package visible", meaning that they belong to a category that does not begins with 'private' or 'public'
>
> Again, I sympathise with facing the visibility problem, but I don't
> trust that conventions will be upheld by either end, so I tire of
> following them.  Replace Pharo/Squeak categories with Newspeak
> modules; replace Pharo/Squeak protocols with traits (stateless,
> please); I'll be the first in line.

I do not think this should be enforced. It is easy to infer method visibility with a set of well defined scenarios, for example the one that comes in unit tests.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu