[Pharo-project] removing versions from configurations

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Tue Apr 26 09:42:14 CEST 2011

On Apr 25, 2011, at 7:37 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> On 25 Apr 2011, at 18:50, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Indeed but loading default could have destroyed your image.
>> So RPackage should not be managed with default.
>
> I do not understand. The continuous integration server is there to check these issues.

the proof is that it did not work.

> The correspondent would be to load now the current baseline. If that breaks, it breaks and people look at it.
>
> Moose is now developed on multiple fronts and serves multiple interests that are not necessarily synchronized. So, we want to depend on latest things because this ensures communication and puts more pressure on synchronizing issues. This is why we want to play with the latest Pharo (hopefully, we will the development to it next week).
>
> Every time we depend on something fixed, we introduce the difficulty of migrating to the next version.

yes but this is the price to pay if you want a really robust package system.
I cannot work on a system where I cannot rollback and check a given version and I cannot work with a system
where I can lose half of my work.

>> Now for stable I'm not sure that I set it up well so watch out.
>
> The tests say that for the use of Moose, RPackage works Ok.

The problem is that the scenario of Moose is just to create Moose model and RPackage is much more than that.
We found conceptual problem with announcement dependencies with benjamin and fix that.
Then for example, Rpackage was not in sync with
	- the announcement changes because it was violating encapsulation (law of demeter bad practice)
In addition there are multiple things that now I have to carefully check. Because MC is not nice and we are replicating
this aspects and making rpackage brittle because MC is brittle.

So sorry but I need to control the version I work with and there is no way I will work on RPackage with default
(and yes this is a pain for me too to have to change all the time the configuration but this is the only way).

Stef