[Pharo-project] [Moose-dev] Re: removing versions from configurations

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Tue Apr 26 11:35:49 CEST 2011

>> yes but this is the price to pay if you want a really robust package system.
>> I cannot work on a system where I cannot rollback and check a given version and I cannot work with a system
>> where I can lose half of my work.
>
> Sure. Just do not work with the baseline then.

I dnu what you mean.

> Although I am sure that when you are developing RPackage, you do want to load the very latest versions of packages :)
>
>> So sorry but I need to control the version I work with and there is no way I will work on RPackage with default
>> (and yes this is a pain for me too to have to change all the time the configuration but this is the only way).
>
> I do not understand your line of reasoning. You do not have to work with default to provide a default.

because people load the default and code based on the default and after a certain period of time configurations are not updated
and this is the mess.
So now for RPackage there is no default so that people changing it are FORCED to produce a new configuration with named file.

> If you want to work with a specific version, work with a specific version. Default is nothing but a baseline.
Indeed I know that

> You did not remove the other baseline, but you removed default.

Yes I know. I did it on purpose. No way to load latest using default.

> In any case, my message came from the point of view of someone who integrates and it is not related to default. I understand your needs but I wanted to point out the dangers that come with removing a version.

Yes this was an emergency solution because I succeeded to lose code (which did not happen to me over the last 10 years in smalltalk).
Now I'm back to the point where
	- RPackage tests are better
	- Clean SystemAnnouncements
	- Green
	- I have annotated a lot of issues to fix and verify
	- So I will be able to make progress, add more tests
Looks like I control RPackage now.