[Pharo-project] [Moose-dev] Re: removing versions from configurations

Tudor Girba tudor.girba at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:43:54 CEST 2011

Hi Stef,

On 26 Apr 2011, at 11:35, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> yes but this is the price to pay if you want a really robust package system.
>>> I cannot work on a system where I cannot rollback and check a given version and I cannot work with a system
>>> where I can lose half of my work.
>>
>> Sure. Just do not work with the baseline then.
>
> I dnu what you mean.
>

>> Although I am sure that when you are developing RPackage, you do want to load the very latest versions of packages :)
>>
>>> So sorry but I need to control the version I work with and there is no way I will work on RPackage with default
>>> (and yes this is a pain for me too to have to change all the time the configuration but this is the only way).
>>
>> I do not understand your line of reasoning. You do not have to work with default to provide a default.
>
> because people load the default and code based on the default and after a certain period of time configurations are not updated
> and this is the mess.
> So now for RPackage there is no default so that people changing it are FORCED to produce a new configuration with named file.
>

>> If you want to work with a specific version, work with a specific version. Default is nothing but a baseline.
> Indeed I know that
>

>> You did not remove the other baseline, but you removed default.
>
> Yes I know. I did it on purpose. No way to load latest using default.

But you did not circumvent anything. All I have to do is load the baseline10: and then I get the latest versions of packages :).

Anyway, the discussion was simply about the ripple effects of removing a version from a configuration. This is similar to removing a package version from a Monticello repository.

>> In any case, my message came from the point of view of someone who integrates and it is not related to default. I understand your needs but I wanted to point out the dangers that come with removing a version.
>
> Yes this was an emergency solution because I succeeded to lose code (which did not happen to me over the last 10 years in smalltalk).
> Now I'm back to the point where
> 	- RPackage tests are better
> 	- Clean SystemAnnouncements
> 	- Green
> 	- I have annotated a lot of issues to fix and verify
> 	- So I will be able to make progress, add more tests
> Looks like I control RPackage now.

I am happy you are in control.

Cheers,
Doru