[Pharo-project] Why we have Behavior >> flushCache?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 13:23:26 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <
stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:

> what is the cache flushed?

what or when?
What ?  it flushed all the method lookup cache
when?  ok, for our refactoring the only thing that matters are the senders
in the image.
If you read the comment of the method it says "the method cache is flushed
on every programming change and garbage collect"
However, that seems not to be true. If I do a garbageCollect,
Behavior>>flushCache is not sent (not even the primitive), And "every
programming change" I don't know what it is.

The senders I see in the image are:
- Behavior >> superclass: aClass    (it does a Object flushCache)
- Time class >> benchmarkMillisecondClock  (it does a Object flushCache.)
- Time class >> benchmarkPrimitiveResponseDelay      (it does a Object
flushCache.)

So, in fact, as much as I can see, all the senders of Behavior>>flushCache
are sent to Object and not to a class in particular. Hence, it is one more
probe that such method is independent of the receiver.

I think that your point is valid and it would be good to do it.