[Pharo-project] Better debugging...

Toon Verwaest toon.verwaest at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 13:54:29 CEST 2011

I'm working on porting this idea already to the Glamour debugger.

The idea is basically to use meta-circular interpreters as a way to
specify what semantics you want, but for speed reasons you might want to
flatten out the interpretation by combining both. This however should
all be done behind the scenes, independent of the definition of the
debugger.

More elaborate debuggers such as the alias debugger can be implemented
but there's no good way yet to separate the data spaces involved. That's
where me and Erwann are looking at how to maybe use a GC that can run
multiple different versions code at the same time while synchronizing
the shared data between the versions of the code.
For example in the case of the alias debugger, that needs aliases
everwhere; but all the global data (classes, methods, ...) is not
aliased. To make this work you actually want to have a "copy" of the
global data that is aliased, but kept in sync with the original data.
Here it starts making a lot of sense to have thread-local heaps + a
versioned but synced global heap.

Of course that's all still wishful thinking... step by step :)

cheers,
Toon