[Pharo-project] Better debugging...

Alexandre Bergel alexandre.bergel at me.com
Tue Apr 26 15:05:38 CEST 2011

> In Pinocchio[1] we implemented very nice and simple debuggers by "just" changing the current interpreter to take a user-action into account on each message send. Since this is implemented on top of a metacircular interpreter this was quite simple to achieve. So the whole implementation of the known debugger functionality (step, over...) maybe took an afternoon. Since you have access to the full interpreter protocol it is very easy to intercept different sorts of actions. As described in the linked paper, it was very easy to implement the object-flow behavior in Pinocchio.

I have built a number of code profilers over the time. The instrumentation is done with Spy, a kind of method wrapper. It would cool to see whether Pinocchio can be a better replacement for my profilers. This will be a cool validation for Pinocchio

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu