[Pharo-project] Process for fixing a package in stable but not in core?

Michael Forster mike at sharedlogic.ca
Tue Apr 26 18:47:29 CEST 2011

Hi,

Forgive me, but I'm still new to the Pharo development process, and my
problem lies somewhere between being a Pharo developer and user.

First, "Beeper beep" does not work in the current 1.2.1 image that I'm
using for production.  I need to fix it and would like to share that
fix with the community.

Second, I see from (closed) Issue 3489 that this is not a Pharo core
problem, but one with the PharoSound package, and that, apparently, it
might be fixed in the latest package version.

Third, I fire up my 1.2.1 image, open the PharoSound squeaksource
repository in the monticello browser and discover that, as expected,
squeaksource does have some newer packages than the image.  For
example,

    1.2.1-image: Sound-GuillermoPolito.63

vs.

    squeaksource: Sound-MarianoMartinezPeck.65

However, in other cases, the squeaksource package is _older_ than the
image's.  For example,

    squeaksource: ConfigurationOfPharoSound-GuillermoPolito.17

vs.

    1.2.1-image: ConfigurationOfPharoSound-GuillermoPolito.22.

How does one make sense of this?  While can I reliably get the latest
version of PharoSound loaded in a 1.2.1 image so that I know I'm
writing and testing my fixes against a version that I can give back to
the community -- and, more importantly, won't be blown away by some
upcoming package version juggling?

Thanks,

Mike