[Pharo-project] [Pharo-users] [ANN] PharoDev-1.3-13173

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Wed Apr 27 11:16:42 CEST 2011

On Apr 27, 2011, at 10:59 AM, Ted F.A. van Gaalen wrote:

> Good morning Mariano
>
> This is something I wrote to Adrian Lienhard,
> when an image did not run, straight out of the box
> so to speak, because of VM differences
> Some thoughts about reliability, and, very important
> IMHO, upward compatibility.
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Ted
>

> ?
> I did expect that, nota bene working with
> the Seaside supplied one-click image and
> the virtual machine supplied with it,
> provided on the Seaside.st site itself,
> that everything is (and remains)
> 100% upward compatible,
> no matter what VM is or will be used in the future.

This is impossible and, in the end, not a good idea.

We can not be compatible forever, was this would mean
that we can not improve anything.

e.g. imagine someone would fix the VM to be better.
(e.g. a modern object format).

Do you really request to then *not* do this change because
this VM could not run old images? (and new images would
not run on old VMs?).

Do you want to have a Future or be compatible to the Past?

	Marcus

INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.