[Pharo-project] Backward compatibility [WAS] Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] PharoDev-1.3-13173

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 11:31:09 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Ted F.A. van Gaalen <tedvga at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Marcus
> As I wrote, I am thinking from the perspective
> of an application developer, a typical pharo-user ?
> imagine that I/we have  hundreds of
> apps written, will they run unchanged
> say 5 years from now?

Probably not. We would like to improve the system and clean it.
Unfortunately, sometimes there is no other way than loosing backward
compatibility.
What do you prefer?  Pharo choose a better system.

If you/companies do not even collaborate with updating your code (don't say
even fixing bugs or submitting code) ...then don't expect anything from
Pharo. Pharo is open-source, free and it is build in the free time.

And I think Pharo is not the only one....out there most of the languages
change a lot between versions, Python, blah.

Cheers

Mariano

--
Mariano