[Pharo-project] about the transcript: Model vs Morph

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 13:03:45 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Fernando Olivero
<fernando.olivero at usi.ch>wrote:

> Hi, I wanted to better understand the issues raised agains the (new)
> Transcript.
>
> Many people are arguing against the current Morph widget displaying
> the Transcript, complaining that it is read only. The fix is simple,
> provide a new implementation of TranscriptMorph , which provides cut &
> paste, scrolling , and the other functionality previously there.
>
> This is the announcement on the benefits of the new transcript made by
> Juan.
>
>  New Transcript
>  Fast (Calls return quickly)
>  Fast (Updates are immediate)
>  Thread safe
>  Can log to file in addition to Display
>  Display output is optional (for headless images)
>  Can work on a bare bones image (Doesn't need UI, dependency, events,
> processes)
>  Optional morphic window for seamless integration in Morphic
>  UI framework agnostic. Can be used to debug Morphic, even with the
> morphic window open, without crashing the image!
>  No longer a text editor. Display is read only.
>
> So according to the mails in the list, Pharo disagrees on the last
> issue, but this means only improving the TranscriptMorph.
> I dont have time to work on it, but will next week.

Yes, but it is not only the last one. It is muuch more than that. We should
be able to :

1) evaluate, print, inspect, copy, past, explore, debug, etc... with
shorcuts
2) Do a right click, bring the context menu, and have what we normally have
in every place
3) do shorcuts. For exmaple, ctrl + s use to clean the Trancript.

I give an exmaple. Take the Pharo1.3 I sent today. I open the Transcript and
it is full of crap. I saw "Ok...ctrl + s must clean." Ok...it doesn't.
Ok...."maybe right click and clean"..There is no right click. Ok.."maybe
from the options on the top right of the morph".  No option. So...in summary
I couldn't even clean the Transcript.

> Are people actually complaining against the (new) Transcript model?

I am speaing about user point of view. I have no idea how the previous
Transcript was implemented nor how this one it is. All my "problems" are
about user point of view.

> or
> just the TranscriptMorph missing features ?

this one.

> I recall Igor, wanting the Transcript to be polymorphic with the
> protocol of a WriteStream. Which is already there.

I have no idea.

Best regards,

--
Mariano