[Pharo-project] squeaksource is down - a different perspective

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Wed Apr 27 22:16:09 CEST 2011

Since you mention GemStone:)

We have customers who have migrated repositories created 10+ years ago
with our 32 bit product to the latest current version of our 64 bit product.

We have changed our Smalltalk class-library over the years and customers
have had to upgrade their own class libraries if they chose to continue
taking advantage of our newer releases ... then there are some who have
chosen not to migrate: I think there are still production applications
running GemStone on a version 20 years old:) ... as long as their
hardware holds out they are fine:)

Production customers don't tend to move very fast in upgrading their
hardware and software so we end up supporting older versions of oSes for
quite awhile...But when the os vendor announces and end of life of an
os, it becomes difficult for us to continue to support that version...

For the older versions we  backport critical bugfixes to the older
versions as long as their are active customers (read paying maintenance
dollars) using the older versions.

Dale