[Pharo-project] GitFs / MCGit

Serge Stinckwich serge.stinckwich at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 03:16:32 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 3:37 AM, Stefan Marr <pharo at stefan-marr.de> wrote:
> Hi Camillo:
>

> On 27 Apr 2011, at 22:09, Camillo Bruni wrote:
>
>> Lukas once implemented a small MC Repository type that simple stores the source.st in a git repository. Due to changes in the recent pharo versions some of the git code didn't work anymore. So that's fixed now and you can use git for storing monticello versions.
>>
>> The following uses a local git repos as a monticello repository:
>>
>>       MCGitRepository directory: 'test_git'

Maybe you should document how do that. Some people might be interested
in order to mitigate the problems
related to SqueakSource unstabilities.

> What are the dependencies for that? Would it be likely that it works with a Squeak 3.8/3.9ish image?
>
>> Of course it is not fully useful since it uses a single file to store everything, rendering normal git tools unusable. Hence I will experiment tomorrow a bit on how to split up methods and classes into something more representable. I guess the trickiest part will be to tell git how methods and classes changed when they are renamed, but even that should not be such a problem..
> If you can handle EPL licensed code, I could make our Transporter scripts available.
> It is a bit more than just a file out that uses one file per class, and a folder per package.
> Beyond that, we also have some support for ordering, since often we have dependencies that need to be load first, etc, as well as pre/post scripts.
>
> Unfortunately, it is EPL licensed and not MIT. So, let me know whether that would be useful/acceptable for you.

Eclipse Public Licence (EPL) is a bit strange for Smalltalk code :-)
but there is no problem if the code is not integrated in Pharo.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk