[Pharo-project] Counting Messages as a Proxy for Average Execution Time in Pharo

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 14:57:41 CEST 2011

Alex,

On 28 April 2011 15:37, Alexandre Bergel <alexandre.bergel at me.com> wrote:
> Counting messages is, in the average, closely link to the average execution time.

I believe this is correct only as long as a purely interpreting VM is
used, even though quick messages add a tiny bit of uncertainty. But
add a JIT compiler and some inlining, and timeToRun and MessageTally
are suddenly interesting again.

Not having read your text, I surely cannot say anything remotely
conclusive, but the assumption that execution time roughly equals the
amount of messages sent seems rather naïve once you leave the cosy
well-predictable niche inhabited by pure interpreters.

Best,

Michael