[Pharo-project] Counting Messages as a Proxy for Average Execution Time in Pharo

Stefan Marr pharo at stefan-marr.de
Fri Apr 29 00:10:07 CEST 2011

On 28 Apr 2011, at 23:56, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> One silly idea while reading this thread (not the paper):
> For single core, the idea makes sense.
> It may even extend easily to multicore VM (just forget about Smalltalk
> for a while) by counting message sent per core and taking the max.
So, why forget about Smalltalk in this context?
If you don't like the performance of the RoarVM, just integrate the ideas into Cog :-P

*scnr*

Bye the way, I just remember two interesting talks at OOPSLA'09, that are related:
http://www.oopsla.org/oopsla2009/program/research-program/110-reliability-and-monitoring

>> How Java VM Can Get More from a Hardware Performance Monitor
>> Inferred Call Path Profiling

Stefan

--
Stefan Marr