[Pharo-project] Counting Messages as a Proxy for Average Execution Time in Pharo

Alexandre Bergel alexandre.bergel at me.com
Fri Apr 29 16:55:08 CEST 2011

Hi Stefan,

I though about your email. I do not understand why automatic parallelization is not the way to go. In my opinion, the computer has much more knowledge about the programmer about where side effects appear and where to cut or split a computation.

Actually, if I want to be provocative, I would say that parallelization cannot be effective without being automatic. For a similar reason that the compiler will always know better than me how to properly allocate registers.

I feel it would be cheaper for me to buy a faster computer than to learn how to program in a multi-core fashion.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu